MUSLIM WAKF AND COMMUNITY WELFARE
It is one of the basic problems faced by Indian Muslims that certain wakf properties have been grabbed by certain agencies including Government institutions who have converted them some into residential, office or commercial
complexes forcibly Besides, there are certain wakf properties that have been let out on nominal rent. Some of the plots of land lying vacant forms subject matter of certain suits. If the Government takes this matter
seriously and the Muslims the biggest minority community of India numbering several crores are able to get potential of this property, it may bring about a. social and economic revolution and prove them an opportunity
to solve their problems since pending for want of proper finance, but to our great disappointment our wakf boards have not been able to manage their affairs properly for want of proper strategy and true spirit. Those
who at the helms of the affairs are more interested in achieving their own ends. Let them come forward and save what is left out. Any positive response from that quarter is still missing. Even the roles played by members
of wakf board and their office bearers as also by the Government are subject to scrutiny.
PROBLEMS FACED BY THE WAKFS
- Grabbing of wakf properties.
- Matters regarding wakf properties pending in courts for several years.
- Lack of proper supervision of wakf land and properties.
- Need to ensure proper possession of wakf properties.
- Further amendment in wakf Act and legal protection.
- Wakf properties be brought out of the purview of the Rent Control Acts.
- All wakf properties must have boundaries.
- Wakf land be used for the welfare of the people.
- Welfare/Social Welfare and Development institutions or organisations be set up on wakf land.
- Performance of the wakf board be watched constantly
DEMANDS TO THE GOVERNMENT
- Wakf laws be made more effective through further legislation.
- A proper survey be conducted to identify the wakf properties and record/documents pertaining there to be preserved.
- Educational institution, commercial complexes and other social welfare oganisations be permitted to raise construction on wakf lands.
- Wakf land and property be brought out of purview of rent control Acts.
- The Government may ensure that all wakf cases are consolidated and transferred to a single court so that they are decided without further loss of time and the orders passed in such matters are acted upon.
- The Home Minister may ensure removal of unauthorised occupants from wakf properties and their restoration to wakf boards.
- Entire wakf land grabbed on the pretext of creating green belt be restored to wakf board and their land use be changed and commercialised in proportion to population.
- A commission be set up to inquire the irregularities committed by the wakf boards and suggest remedies so that such irregularities are not committed in future.
- Only such persons be nominated to the wakf boards who are pious, educated andwell-off so that they may not misuse wakf property and use it as a political tool.
- At the time of nomination of members proper weightage be given to their character, honesty, religious spirit, interest for the community and such other attributes so that some improvement be brought about in the working
of wakf boards. Besides, members of Wakf boards must know the language in which the wakf deeds have been scribed and petitions are received.